13 January 2012

The Name Game

I can't believe we're half way!

I also can't believe that two years ago I spent a good portion of my summer holidays drooling over wedding dresses online, this week my attention has been on cloth nappies! Who would have known there were so many options?

Anyway, that's not what I want to post about. We were talking last night and decided that we should really start thinking about names. But where to start? 

Back at our wedding we had little moleskine notebooks on each table with questions for our guests to answer. There were 'sensible' questions like "What is the secret to a long and loving life?" and ones that we hoped would give us a laugh, like the one below.


What's this got to do with baby names you ask? Another page in the book read...




Good for a chuckle but ultimately not all that helpful. 

A's mum gave us a Baby Name book but with names like Egberta* it pretty much fits into the same category as the wedding comments above.

The best starting point I've come up with is my name, which was my mother's maiden name. She didn't have any brothers to carry the name on so I got it. If we have a boy, I'd like to do the same as my maiden name could also be a first name and of all my 15 or so cousins, none of them will pass the name on! Interestingly, our married name could also be a first name so that could be a nice 'tradition' to start. I'm off to write a list!

Do you have a story for where your name came from? Or advice in picking one for your child? I'd love to hear it!

*Apologies if you are, or know an Egberta!

3 comments:

Yaeli said...

Part of our chosen names comes from my grandparents names, and because The Man's first little girl has a flower for a middle name I'd kind of like to continue that for the newest arrival to the Gaggle if it should be a girl. One of our boys names just popped into my head at the gym one morning!

Sammie said...

We were at country races as Easter after just finding out we were having a girl.
We had a few names we liked, but nothing that we could totally agree on (we had both always lived Ruby, but it had become really popular and we didn't want that)
Reading the form guide in race 3, horse 3 was called Abi's Pride.
My husband said what about the lengthened version for full name (Abigail) and Abi for short?
I liked it, we bet on it. It won! The odds were silly, and we won quite a bit of money.
16 Or so weeks later sitting there waiting to be induced I turned to my husband and said "so have we decided?" and that was it!
Because our children have my husbands surname (it is mine also) I have more rights on choosing the middle name. And Abigail's middle name is Elizabeth which is my mums middle name.

Good luck! It was one of the hardest decisions we ever made.
But we just adore our daughters name! Just hope she does when she is older!!!

Yaeli said...

P.S. TAG! You're it! You have been tagged! For more info check out http://miparama.blogspot.com/2012/01/tag-youre-it.html