09 January 2012

Adventures with a sewing machine

Being on holidays, with lots of time on my hands makes me want to do stuff I wouldn't normally bother with - like sewing. I'm not particularly talented at sewing, in fact it's hard work and I need clear instructions, but I think I'm getting better.

Before I get down to business with this post I'd better introduce the star of the show... my Nana's sewing machine. Apparently it was the first one she owned after the peddle version. The instruction manual introduces the 'latest' in Elna stitch technology developed in 1969 and presents some stunning pictures of  what one could create! Are you ready? I'm not sure you are....




However, laughs and stylish pictures aside, good old Elna is a sturdy workhorse and I can understand the very useful instruction book so I think we're on a winner!

So yesterday, a rainy Sunday, with the help of a Cuddly Quilt Kit from Spotlight and quite a few hours of patience this is what I achieved.

Finished size 76 x 91cm

Not too bad, huh? I did feel absolutely exhausted by the end though! 

This one will go to M + D, friends who are due the day before us!

There are no 'in progress' or 'how to' pictures as I needed all my concentration for the quilt. I will say though, it's really the logistics of cutting the right pieces to the right size that was the challenge, the sewing in itself is just lots of straight stitches in straight lines. So certainly not impossible for a novice sewer. I may even make another one yet!

2 comments:

In The Night Sky said...

Awww, come on, everyone could do with a sky blue jumpsuit couldn't they?!

Yaeli said...

That is gorgeous and AWESOME!!!
I almost want to give it a go myself, but I lack a sewing machine and the know how.

I think I have my Nanna's old Singer buried at my Dad's place somewhere. It had a knee peddle rather than a foot peddle! It was a beautiful piece of equipment!