31 January 2011

Last weekend we built a wardrobe

Ok, I'll be honest here, I was more than a little skeptical when A said he wanted to build a wardrobe in one of our spare rooms and, as the flat packs were not quite right or just too expensive, he would do it himself.

I do think I am somewhat entitled to be skeptical when I hear these proclamations. A couple of years ago I went off to Japan for my holidays and came back to a DIY bookshelf that A had build with a cordless drill a couple of pieces of dowel and no tape measure or ruler. He had taken to this project with a couple of beers and while fending off the amorous advances of Charlene, the crazy lady from a couple of apartments down (that's a whole other story - quite amusing - but has nothing to do with our wardrobe).

Ok, so the bookshelf was not so bad considering the circumstances in which it had been built. Sure, it had a permanent lean to the left. Sure, I felt a little nervous when it started to fill up and lean forward a little as well. But, it did the job for a couple of years until we moved here and I suggested that we didn't really need it inside anymore.

So, we set off to Bunnings to pick up some sliding doors along with whatever else we needed to get the show on the road.  The conversation went something like this...

Me: "So do you know what we need to get?"
A:  "Yeah, I've got an idea in my head."
Me: "Yes, but do you know exactly what you need to get and what size it has to be and .......do you think we should maybe go home and plan this properly?"
A:  "Nah. It's ok. I'll work it out as we go around."
Me: "Really, becuase this is a permanent wardrobe in our permanent house that we might want to sell one day and I really don't want a 'drunk bookshelf' version of a wardrobe."
A: "Ok. We'll plan it."

So we did go home and make a plan, we did make adjustments as we went along and we did nearly tear our hair out a couple of times (why is nothing in this house square?). However, we are both pretty proud of the wardrobe and I'll be less skeptical next time A says he wants to build something! Good result all round.

Here are the pictures...








Yes, I do still need to paint the cornice and the bedroom door for that matter. One job down though, carpet is next!

2 comments:

Sammie said...

Oh my! I am impressed!
Well done!
Can you come build mine now!

In The Night Sky said...

Nice work! You can come and build mine if you like :-)