05 February 2012

A belated 'Tag' response

Yaeli over at Mummy In Progress tagged me (quite some time ago, I'm ashamed to say). So I'm finally going to attempt this, however, as nearly everyone has done it now I'm being slack and skipping the pass it on bit!

11 things about me...

1. I've lived in Canberra for 7 years now which apparently makes me a local and means I'm unlikely to leave.

2. I lived and worked (teaching English - as you do) in a tiny country town in Japan for a year after uni. It was the end of a train line and there was a river outside my house that was home to otters, bullfrogs (which I was amazed to find actually do sound like bulls) and fireflies. Sometimes I still miss it.

3. As a child I was bitten by a tiger snake and spent a night in intensive care. Unsurprisingly, I'm still terrified of snakes! I don't even like the non-venomous types, not even in cages!

4. I'd love to learn to play the piano accordion.

5. Despite fact No. 1 (and 3, I suppose) I'd like to move back to the 'country' so my kids can grow up there.

6. My favourite colour is green.

7. I like lists ( I think I've mentioned this before) and a love a good countdown to something whether it be an event or simply how many lessons I have left to teach for the term. Towards the end of my stay in Japan I was so excited to come home to A that my friends dubbed me CC (Countdown Christie).

8. If I could have a superpower, it would be the ability to instantly teleport from place to place.

9. The only TV show I cannot miss is Dr Who.

10.  If I wasn't a teacher I think I'd like to be a florist.

11. A and I will have been together for 11 years in April! We survived a whole year apart when I was living Japan - hard work, but worth it!

Questions from Yaeli...

Cat person or dog person? I adore both really but I guess I qualify more as a cat person as we have a cat - Axel. Our falling down fence means a dog is not an option at the moment but I secretly look forward to the dog from around the corner escaping from his yard and having to look after him until his owners get home!

Who is your hero, and why? I don't know that I have 'hero' as such. I've read about or heard about so many inspirational people that picking one just isn't possible. Sorry, cop out answer, I know.

What is the weirdest thing you've ever eaten? Horse, in Japan, it was chewy but much like beef.

What's your favourite book? A Fine Balance by Rohinton Mistry and The Book Thief by Markus Zusak

What is your favourite song? I'm not sure that I have one favourite song so I'm going to cheat on this question too. The one singer I make the effort to see whenever he is in Canberra is Darren Hanlon, in fact I think I'm going to add him to the dinner party list!


If you could have 6 people, living or dead, over for a dinner party at your place, who would you invite? Nancy Wake, my four grandparents, Stephanie Alexander (to cook and give me garden advice), Darren Hanlon (to serenade us). Can I also choose to hold it after June so my grandparents can meet their great grandchild?

What language/s do you speak? English, Japanese and traveller's Spanish.

What is the number one thing on your "bucket list"? To see Polar Bears in the wild!

How do you like your coffee? I don't! I love the smell but would much rather a hot chocolate, chai or green tea!

Who would play you in a biopic of your life? Charlize Theron - not because I think she looks anything like me, but because I'll never forget her acting in Monster.

Which animal would you steal from the zoo, and how would you get it out of there? A Panda - I'd carry it out like a soft toy - it would have to be a small one I suppose. Then I'd keep it in the yard to eat the bamboo we just can not get rid of!

Have a lovely week!

2 comments:

Yaeli said...

Great answers! I love hearing about which animal people would steal from the zoo and how they'd get it out of there.
Someone once suggested a meerkat using a catapault...

We want to move to the country too. The Man was raised on a dairy farm, so our dream is to buy a dairy farm and run it.

In The Night Sky said...

I'm with you about snakes - how terrifying to be bitten! The place you lived in in Japan sounds really tranquil and lovely.