21 September 2010

3 Very Important People

There are 3 very important people who just because that's-the-way-life-goes wont be at our wedding in November.

Nana and Pop have both passed away in the last 3 years. Has it really been that long? It doesn't feel like it. Pop was a farmer until the end and as a friend put it at his funeral was "one of life's true gentlemen".  Nana was a great gardener, tennis player, cook, seamstress, florist - you name it and she could do it.  I have no doubt that if she were around she'd be doing our flowers, cooking our cake and they'd probably be teaching us how to dance. They loved their old-time dances and would light up when they showed us something new they had learnt. My sister and I always said we should go with them one night to see them in action but of course we never did. The definition of regret.

For them, after our first dance, the rest of the family will be getting up to do an Evening Three Step. Possibly to 'I've got a lovely bunch of coconuts' unless anyone else out there knows another evening three step song??? 


And, my other important person? Grandpa. Another avid green thumb with a garden to rival Nana's and a great sense of competition in a game of scattegories. Seriously, the debates over answers were fierce. Filled with laughter, but fierce. It is for both of them that I'm giving the bouquets a go myself. I'd like to claim to be half as talented, or even a quarter! 


So while they won't be there in person, they'll be there in our hearts and our actions in some way. And that will be enough.

1 comment:

Mrs T said...

I've got a lovely bunch of coconuts & evening three step - oh please tell me you are having someone video this. What a fun way to remember your Grandparents.