23 June 2011

Chicken update


Last weekend while I was report writing, A was slaving away in the backyard creating the next step up from the box-in-the-lounge-room cage for the chickens. They have grown so much in just 4 weeks.


They went out into their new home on Saturday night and LOVE it. There is so much more room for them to scratch around in and explore. That said, it's only stage one of their outside home. Eventually there will be a bigger area built around it and the brick section will have a proper roof and become their laying box. The heat lamp is still rigged up under the little shelter as they need to have that until they are 8 weeks old - longer if it is cold. Given that I did playground duty yesterday with an apparent temperature of -2.4 degrees I think they'll have it on for a while longer yet!



By the way, I did name one of them but I have to say that A was totally right, 5 days outside and I can't remember which one I named! I think they'll go by the collective 'Chickies' that I've called them so far.

Hope you are having a lovely week!

No comments: