28 June 2011

And then disaster struck

The weekend started off well. I finally bought some material for the chairs and had a trial run to learn the sewing machine and see if my skills were truly up to the task. I think they will be but I definitely learnt from the first run. More on that later though.

We got organised for our new housemate, watched the chickens scratch around in a temporary enclosure in the sunshine and I had some old work friends over. 

All was going well. Just as everyone was leaving, J, my animal loving, vegan friend asked to see the chickens. 

Sure, no problems, I say. Oh s*&#! Where are they? 

We found three huddled up by the side fence and quickly returned them to their box. But, where was the fourth? We couldn't see her and I was starting to get worried. The neighbour's cat had been eyeing them off earlier that day. 

Then we heard a squawk. We could hear her but not see her. Eventually we discovered her wedged between the fence palings and a sheet of tin. She was stuck fast. We broke some palings to get her out. She was in a VERY bad way. I'll spare you the gory details. It was not pretty, there was a lot missing. Poor J had to sit down.

J, being the quick thinker and, while nauseated, slightly less panicked, called her mum who works at the RSPCA and asked her what to do. So we followed the instructions and put her in a warm spot expecting only to be able to try and keep her comfortable until she died. I was crushed and feeling super guilty. I went back to check on her later and she had perked up. I put in some food and water to see if she'd eat and she did. I still went to bed not expecting her to last the night.

Sure enough though, on Monday morning there was chirping coming from the box. I couldn't believe it. She was limping but otherwise pretty happy. I left for work thinking, maybe, just maybe she'd recover.

Now, it's ok to laugh, I won't hear you. I took her to the vet that afternoon. Mostly because if she'd needed to be put out of her misery I'm not brave enough to do it. He could not believe she had survived. He gave her a reasonable chance and sent us off with some antiseptic cream, instructions to put her back with the others as soon as we can and a light wallet. If she survives and lays eggs she'll pay the bill off in what, 2 years?

Anyway, to wrap up a long story. It's Tuesday night and she's still with us. She's happy, eating, drinking, exploring and is currently perched on my left arm as she has been for the last hour or so. We'll put her back with the others tomorrow and see how she goes.



Please send us your chicken recovery vibes! 




1 comment:

In The Night Sky said...

The poor thing, that's so sad. Sounds like she is on her way to recovery though. Get well soon little chicken!